Thursday, July 17, 2008

THREE GREAT CHINESE POETS

Which among Wang Wei, Tu Fu and Li Po you like best in terms of theme and style? Why?

If I would be a poet, I would love to be a student of Tu Fu because, for one, I would really like to learn how to create vivid imagery because I know it is one of the most important elements of poetry. Poetry will never be sophisticated and unique without the color and magic that it brings. Among the three, he is the one who can really portray life by using powerful images that really connect with the mood/atmosphere of his poem. Moreso, he knows how to bring out and focus on the positive sides/angles of nature to uplift the spirit of his people despite the 'war' theme that is always prevalent in his poems.

Who is your pick?

4 comments:

leng said...

i like Li Po the best because he is very imaginative. He also loves the moon and has composed beautiful poems about it.

--ellaine bernardino of II-3

Unknown said...

Maybe I would prefer Li Po to teach me because he can bring life to poems in a more unique way. Even though his poems aren't as conventional as those of Wang Wei's and Tu Fu's, in my opinion, he still has this style that will make you want to read more of his works.

~ Pauline C. II-1

Unknown said...

I don't know if this is biased or what [we reported his poem], but yes, my favorite writer is currently Li Po. He is a very interesting person, and knowing that a drunkard became a very succesfful poet is enough inspiration for anyone who thinks they cannot succeed.

Sara Alarcon said...

I prefer Li Po because even though he is a drunkard, he still writes about the virtues that should be followed. And because his style is different from Wang Wei and Tu Fu.